What are the Dangers?
[Create an illustration similar to Slide 6 here?]
What happens anywhere affects us everywhere.
Extreme global poverty threatens us, too:
- Famine not only affects one region. It also increases food prices for everyone around the world.
- Epidemics spread more easily. Ebola is only one example.
- Environmental destruction – As people struggle to survive, they’re forced to use resources unsustainably. Pollution endangers everyone.
- Political chaos can spread. This leads to riots, ruthless dictators and wars. Failed states are safe havens for pirates and terrorists.
- Refugee crises strain the resources and stability of many nations.
Terrorism – Extreme poverty and gross inequality spur resentment and encourage acts of terror.
To solve this, we want to avoid big mistakes.