Help create a sustainable, just,
peaceful and beautiful world!
Why you are important:
Every 5 seconds,
a child dies from poverty-related causes
That’s 17,000 children a day,
6,200,000 every year 1
Now, some very good news:
All the food,
resources and methods
to end this crisis
policies that subsidize
the wealthy and hurt the poor
cost effective programs that
already help millions of people
Hearts and Minds unique?
Thousands of nonprofits work on poverty. Many do very good work.
Still, 768 million 2 people go hungry…
Here’s what’s missing:
help a limited number of people
in limited ways…
– or –
Urge wealthy nations to
help millions more people.
But these groups support
giving billions of dollars directly to
poorly managed governments
and often limited nonprofits…
And there’s an even bigger problem:
Due to unfair trade rules and loans, land grabs, tax evasion and corruption from the wealthy nations, the unequal costs of climate change and other injustices, the world’s poorest people and nations subsidize the world’s richest with a net $3 trillion. Every year.3
This helps explain why:
- Sub-Saharan Africa has 149 million more people in the most extreme poverty than in 1990.4
- More than 3.6 billion people struggle to live on less than $5.50 a day.5
No other organization has fully addressed the huge inequality in the world trade and financial systems. If this isn’t reformed, we’ll never end extreme poverty.
There is a better way:
Hearts and Minds addresses the structural roots of extreme global poverty and inequality.
We work to solve this challenge effectively through public education and advocacy for reforms including foreign policy in the United States and other wealthy nations.
Together, we can empower the world’s poorest – and us – for a more sustainable, peaceful and beautiful world.
You can change the world right now:
You can change the world right now:
Even small actions cause big changes!
And the more you do, the better our world will be…
YOU can take the next step:
Who we are:
Helping end extreme global poverty is now the key focus of Hearts and Minds, a nonprofit founded in 1996 to help you change the world.
Thanks to many volunteers and donated goods, we’ve done more than $7 of work for every dollar we spend.6
When we achieve even one percent of Our New Platform, this will redirect $30 billion every year to help the world’s poorest lift themselves from poverty. That will be equal to and more effective than the United States’ entire economic assistance foreign aid.
- World Health Organization (WHO), 2018.
- FAO, IFAD, UNICEF, WFP and WHO. 2021. The State of Food Security and Nutrition in the World 2021. Transforming food systems for food security, improved nutrition and affordable healthy diets for all. Rome, FAO: An estimated 768 million people were undernourished in 2020, 9.9 percent of the global population. That’s 118 million more people facing hunger than in 2019. This number is likely to rapidly increase due to COVID, war in Ukraine (a major food exporter) and growing inequality worldwide.
- Jason Hickel, The Divide documents this shocking amount. Hearts and Minds is doing further research to evaluate, confirm and update his statistics.
- World Bank As of 2018, there were 433 million sub-Saharan Africans struggling to survive on less than $1.90 a day, far less than the minimum required for a decent life. Since 2018, with disruptions due to COVID and rising food and energy prices due to global instability, this is likely to be millions more people.
- World Bank updated proportional to current total population, not including additional COVID and other disruptions
- Much of our work is done by volunteers. This includes accounting, legal services, marketing, management, tech and website development. Most of our office furniture, computers and printers are also donated.